- Trump could scuttle Australia-US refugee deal: White House
The White House casts doubt over the future of Australia's refugee resettlement agreement with the United States, conceding the incoming Trump administration could scuttle the deal.
- Sporting world stunned by F1 world champ Rosberg's retirement
Current and former Formula One drivers and the likes of Usain Bolt react with disbelief to F1 world champ Nico Rosberg's retirement.
- Family, violence and silence: Life and death for women in the Italian mafia
Married at 13 and pregnant by 15, the story of Maria Concetta Cacciola, who died after deliberately swallowing acid, offers an insight into the life of a woman born into the 'Ndrangheta — the mafia group in Italy's Calabria region.
- Trump speaks to Taiwan's leader in move that could anger China
US President-elect Donald Trump has spoken by phone with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, a transition team spokeswoman says, the first such contact by a president-elect since 1979.
- Roads 'not a playground': Suspected street racer killed in fiery crash
A street racer is killed after his car clips another, hits a power pole, flips and bursts into flames in Melbourne's north overnight, Victorian police say.
- Life sentence overturned for Oklahoma teen who killed Australian
A US appeals court throws out the life sentence given to a teenager who was convicted of fatally shooting Australian baseball player Christopher Lane in 2013.
- Adani's $2 billion Queensland rail line closer to federal loan
A rail line that will link Adani's $21 billion Carmichael coal mine to the Abbot Point port is one step closer, after passing its first assessment hurdle for a Federal Government loan.
- New anti-whaling ship a game changer: Sea Shepherd
Conservation group Sea Shepherd unveils the latest addition to its anti-whaling arsenal, a $12 million custom-designed ship it will send to confront the Japanese fleet in the Southern Ocean.
- Treasurers endorse new housing investment incentives
Australia's treasurers agree to develop a new way to encourage investment in affordable rental and community housing, but the Government is resisting calls to change tax concessions.
- 'Bizarre' outback stabbing of tourist 'could not be predicted'
The stabbing death of tourist Philippe Jegouzo in the Northern Territory outback was "bizarre" and "random", and there are no concerns other travellers are in danger, police say.
- Man 'sleeping in driveway' killed by wife's Uber
A man hit and killed by an Uber that was bringing his wife home after a night out in Toowoomba appears to have been lying asleep in his driveway, Queensland police say.
- Two remote island beaches off WA coast ranked among Australia's top 10
Cossie's Beach in the Cocos Islands is ranked number one in Australia, while Dolly Beach on Christmas Island comes in seventh.
- Powerful image of war wins Gold Walkley for photojournalist Andrew Quilty
Photojournalist Andrew Quilty wins the Gold Walkley for Excellence in Journalism for his graphic and powerful image of the body of a man on an operating table in the wake of a US bomb attack on trauma centre in Afghanistan.